Israeli Krav Maga’s Tactical Ten Commandants by David Kahn
1. Israeli Krav Maga works against any attacker; the key is your mind-set. Never accept defeat or surrender. If you can breathe, you can fight. Do what you must to prevail.
2. Assess your surroundings. Common sense, basic precautions, and a confident demeanor minimize your chances of being attacked.
3. Nonviolent conflict resolution is always your best solution. De-escalate and disengage when possible.
4. A few mastered techniques go a long way and are highly effective in most situations.
5. The essence of Krav Maga is to neutralize an attacker quickly; there are no rules.
6. A strategy to end your attacker’s fighting ability is paramount when using simultaneous defense and attack. Fight positioning by moving off the line of attack determines your tactical advantage.
7. Footwork and body positioning, whether standing or prone, allow you to simultaneously defend and attack allowing for seamless combative transitions, essential to perform retzev or “continuous combat motion.”
8. Optimally, a kravist will move quickly to a superior and dominant position, the “dead side” to finish the fight. You dictate the fight using retzev combatives.
9. Dead-side strategy revolves around your capabilities and preferred tactics involving long, medium, and short combatives combined with evasive maneuvers. This positioning becomes even more important when facing multiple attackers.
10. Retzev is seamlessly using all parts of your body for an overwhelming, decisive counterattack. Combined with simultaneous defense and attack, retzev is the backbone of the Israeli fighting system.